- “Credible Research Designs for Minimum Wage Studies: A Response to Neumark, Salas and Wascher” with Sylvia Allegretto, Michael Reich and Ben Zipperer. (August 2016 – prepublication version). Industrial and Labor Relations Review (forthcoming). New! (Older versions: September 2015, September 2013, June 2013.)
Replication data and programs (including raw data ~5 GB)
Replication data and programs (excluding raw data ~0.7 GB)
- “The Labor-Market Impact of San Francisco’s Employer Benefit Mandate” with Carrie H. Colla and William Dow. Industrial Relations 2017 (Vol. 56, Issue 1). Earlier NBER Working Paper available here. New!
- “Nurse Unions and Patient Outcomes” with Ethan Kaplan and Owen Thompson. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2016 (Vol. 69, Issue 4). IZA Discussion Paper 8259 (June 2014). New!
- “Minimum Wage Shocks, Employment Flows, and Labor Market Frictions” with T. William Lester and Michael Reich. Journal of Labor Economics, 2016 (Vol. 34, Issue 3). Publication version: Dec. 2015. Nov 2013 version here. April 2012 version here. IZA Discussion Paper from 2011 available here. New!
Replication data and programs (including raw QWI data)
- “Threat Effects and Trade: Wage Discipline through Product Market Competition” with Sanjay Reddy. Journal of Globalization and Development, 2014 (Vol. 4, Issue 2)
- “Early Effects of the San Francisco Paid Sick Leave Policy” with Carrie H. Colla, William Dow, and Vicky Lovell. American Journal of Public Health, 2014 (Eview ahead of print).
- “Cross-border Spillover: U.S. Gun Laws and Violence in Mexico” with Oeindrila Dube and Omar David Garcia Ponce. American Political Science Review, 2013 (Vol. 197, Issue 3).
See Slate Article on the Paper here.
- “San Francisco’s ‘Pay Or Play’ Employer Mandate Expanded Private Coverage By Local Firms And A Public Care Program” with Carrie H. Colla and William H. Dow. Health Affairs, 2013 (Vol. 32, Issue 1).
- “Coups, Corporation and Classified Information” with Ethan Kaplan and Suresh Naidu. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2011 (Vol. 126, Issue 3).
- “How Do Employers React to a Pay-or-Play Mandate? Early Evidence from San Francisco” with Carrie H. Colla and William Dow. Forum for Health Economics and Policy, 2011 (Vol. 14, Issue 2).
NBER Working Paper available here.
- “Do Minimum Wages Really Reduce Teen Employment? Accounting for Heterogeneity and Selectivity in State Panel Data” with Sylvia Allegretto and Michael Reich. Industrial Relations, March 2011.
- “Minimum Wage Effects Across State Borders: Estimates Using Contiguous Counties” with T. William Lester and Michael Reich. Review of Economics and Statistics, 2010 (Vol.92, Issue 4).
- “Does Outsourcing Reduce Wages in the Low-Wage Service Occupations? Evidence from Janitors and Guards,” with Ethan Kaplan. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2010 (Volume 63, Issue 2).
- “Complementarity of Shared Compensation and Decision-Making Systems: Evidence from the American Labor Market” with Richard Freeman, Kruse, Freeman, and Blasi, eds., Shared Capitalism at Work: Employee Stock Ownership, Profit and Gain Sharing, and Broad-based Stock Options. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
NBER Working Paper available here.
- “The economic impacts of a citywide minimum wage” with Suresh Naidu and Michael Reich. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, July 2007.
- “The Hidden Public Cost of Low Wage Jobs in California” with Carol Zabin and Ken Jacobs, State of California Labor 2004, University of California Institute for Labor and Employment, May 2004.
- “Aggregate demand externalities and labor supply decisions: Worker discouragement and market inefficiency,” with Ethan Kaplan, Economics Letters, September 1997.